• Day, Date, Month

    April 2008
    S M T W T F S
    « Mar   May »
  • What I said before

  • Advertisements

The S.T.O.N.E. beginning to end….IT IS A LONG ONE


Having NEVER had any kind of back pain before (sorry Amy) I was quite unhappy when I was woken up at about 1AM on the tenth of April with really really extreme pain in the lower right side on my back…real bad pain…unexplainable pain (having never given birth which they say is ALMOST as bad). I stood tried to go to the bathroom a couple times…walked the house four or five times thought about going outside for a longer walk and then went back upstairs…..yes, Richard (the man I love dearly) slept through all of this nearly 1.5 hours. I tried desperately to lay down but it was not to be. I began to get dressed thinking the entire time should I wake a friend/neighbor surly Richard has to stay here for the boys he can’t take me….so I decided to go it alone…once dressed I woke Richard and said I was going to the acute care center with extreme back pain. I did not get an acknowledgment so I said it again and I got. “Okay, I heard you go…” well, alight then I am going…

The Drive….not much to say only that it is about 3 miles…once I got there I did not remember getting there…it was all a blur…I do remember that I did not see many other cars at 2:15 in the freaking AM.

Once there I walked to the desk and perched myself on the front desk..literally perched in the most comfortable position. Talked to the nurse…though not sure what I said other then PAIN….she sent me to the room where I perched again to be comfortable…the nurse came in and gave me a gown and I dressed and laid down??  If that is what you can call it. The very handsome, young, African American Doctor, came in and seeing me in pain ordered pain meds. He and I talked and he sent me for a CT scan…yep there is a stone…and it is a mighty big one…but not round…6mm one way and 8mm the other.  So he tells me I have to go to the hospital to have it taken are of…I ask if I can have some one come and get me and take me and he advises me that he has called an ambulance and they are waiting for me…policy. SO off I go in the ambulance…a long ride, longer then I thought it should be but then again I slept or passed out for some of it..

At the hospital I was admitted into the.last.bed.  guess where..pediatrics…the exact same bed we had for Griffin’s snip snip and tubes…what is the chance…so I lay there and they tell me they are going to put in a stent and send me on my way…HUH??…this part is all hazy to me I am not sure what happened when but I did get a stent by the dad of a Urological father son team. At some point then I called Richard and finished telling him all that was going on. It was Friday sometime in the morning. I think I woke him up at 5AM…not sure…that may have been Saturday. On Friday they told me it was time to go home but I was still in a great deal of discomfort in my lower back and asked that I stay the night…I DID NOT want to drive myself again in the middle of the night to the hospital. The Doctor approved it and I was given more medicine..I should mention that in the acute care center they had me on morphine and it really helped with the pain but I think it is why I can not remember must the next day. Then I was on some pain drug that started with a “D” and it works for about 4-6 hours before it wears off or so they say…with the way metabolize drugs it was a 2-3 hour pill for me. Thankfully I did stay the night because I was up A LOT with pain and was able to get meds.

Saturday, like I said I am not sure when I woke Richard…and again what they did is a blur but I know that both Friday and Saturday they were very busy with our regular life schedules. I also KNOW that I hated that my boys had to see me like that…the first time they came I was out I heard Griffin saying mommy I love you and Spencer saying mommy I miss you and then I woke up. It happened the same way the next time they visited. It sucked big time and I hope they never see me or Richard in that place again. SO I am officially discharged and go home in the afternoon with minimal pain.  I have vicoden now and take it at will though I like to ride the pain and see what I can take before I actually break down and take it. I am a glutton. I think I have 23 of the 30 pills left…hey that is pretty good.

The week then went on without me Richard being my hero and taking care of everything and anything that came his way.  My friends and neighbors chipped in and my mom was here on Friday night and Sunday. I am lucky to be so blessed with such great support whether it be a phone call or an email (which I got them all just late) a meal brought over for my family I am blessed beyond belief and am proud of my family and friends chipping in. I had a very wonderfully restful weekend. Saturday the boys were gone all day with their dad…various life routines and then Sunday Richard had Cub Scout training all day, his former secretary offered to take the boys for me in the afternoon to get a rest. She was amazing…she took them to the big park and then to the Mall and Serpent Safari and then to McDonald’s and then Dairy Queen. I told her not to come back and try to give me my money back that she should keep it…I told her the boys were instructed not to take cash from her either….so she spent every penny and then some on them…spoiling them ….I have to give something back to her…she had them out of the house for 5 hours and got them home 10 minutes AFTER Richard came home. Fed and ready for a bath!!

The next Thursday I was scheduled for stent removal and blasting. They picked the hospital next down the line where the son of the father son urological team worked. He was doing the surgery. I have a theory about the local hospitals…and Debbie can tell me what she thinks…the hospital closest to us on the lake front is pretty bad…the next one, the first hospital I was in, is good I would go there again and again…if need be…the next hospital is my second hospital and far out ranks the first two hospitals IMHO, as we travel down the lake front the next hospital is even better and is the one right before you get to all the Chicago city hospitals….so why do you think this is….any way sorry off track, I go in and right to Same Day Surgery.  The night before a friend of mine whom I scrapbook with is a day Surgery scrub nurse there and wanted to know if I wanted her on my case…I said no but please come and see me…well she did and she stayed with me most of the time making sure I got (and changing some rotations) the best anesthesiologist and the nurse who can put in a mean IV etc. The mean IV was not cooperative but after three times it was in but relatively pain free…so then we start talking to the anesthesiologist about my sleep apnea.  He give me a choice of a spinal anesthetic much like an epidural or a tube inserted in my throat to be removed after I am fully awake….call me crazy but the spinal thing sounded better and it was…though I should mention that I get it when I was almost out so I don’t really remember it.  We also talked about the way I metabolize narcotics and the entire ‘caine’ family of drugs. He was very happy to know that as it does make a difference. I was glad that I spoke up…ya know sometimes you think your thoughts are stupid but not me…I mention it, all too many bad experiences.   As I went into surgery, my friend holding my hand, the whole time telling me it would be great and things would be OK I went out….I do remember a few bits and pieces…I remember them putting me on the surgery table and all the machines that they would use, I remember them having me sit up for the anesthetic, I remember then putting my legs into the stirrups, I remember my friend covering my legs with warmed so no one would remark about my severe psoriasis as she knew it bothered me, I can remember the cleaning and the music and that is about it….my friend said she was surprised I could hear the music as it was low but I could tell her about 6 of the 7 songs that were played. I went to recovery and then to my day surgery room….peed and went home after about 8 hours of being there…the doctor said that all that was left was some large gravel he traveled to the back of my kidney and saw nothing remarkable …he did say that he slightly blasted some of the large gravel on his way out. The reason that I was sent to this hospital is because they have the highly coveted “green light” (not sure if I am remembering that right) system that is apparently very new and it really accurate and the best for these procedures…what do I care it is over and I am not doing it again.

Monday…the removal day….dread setting in but also happy to have it going. SO I drop Griffin off with Richard and go to the Doctor OFFICE…not the hospital…his OFFICE…how on earth is this going to work??  SO I am half nekkid in the chair all spread eagle waiting for him and being informed about the procedure and how relieved I will feel…yeah right…ever had it done….so Doc walks in and is very smartly dressed…no cover up no doctor coat…whoops change of plan….no…he is doing this in his suit and tie…lord almighty…GRAPHIC DETAILS COMING NEXT: since I am numb from the topical ointment the nurse applied he begins…sits right down and starts talking away like we were at dinner…grabs the instruments and begins inserting an arm length plastic tube connected to a gel water thing into my urethra, I am OK…. cool gel water…nice…then he inserts a metal wire thingy into the arm long plastic tube…what the…then more gel water… I am OK…then all of a sudden he says OK here it comes….wait here what comes…tell me more…and then a very small city moved from in between my bladder and kidney into my bladder and then flowed through my urethra and out…RELIEF…so even though that small little hole that has only had urine flow out a large metal stent found its way out. Some of the conversation that went on during the procedure…so you know Mary, yes, I do, I wondered why she was holding your hand during surgery, she and I scrapbook together, nurse chimes in…I love scrap booking..do you have a cricut, me, well in fact I do. Wow I want one for my birthday but I think it is out of my BF range…Doctor…well how much is it…I could get if for your birthday…me, it is about 300 bucks…him eyes wide open…well, maybe if it was 100 bucks…giggle giggle…it was interesting.

I paid my co-pay, gathered the child at his dad’s office and took him home. I am feeling a lot of relief…I will be in discomfort for about 2 days and then it will be like it never happened. Yeah Right…

So for all my medical friends Doctors and nurses alike…some of the literature he gave me talks about  black teas being high oxalate’s and that I should avoid them.  I am recently addicted to sweet tea at home and at Mc Donald’s. Is it possible that in the last say 9 months of tea indulgence this could have happened…as I sit with a sweet tea now…could it be that I have to give up my daily sweet tea….cause in reality that is all that has changed in my daily diet in the past few years…


7 Responses

  1. I’m sorry to say it, but I really think you need to give up the tea or at least moderate greatly. I can specifically remember in nursing school being taught that tea was the biggest cause of kidney stones. Chocolate is in there, too as are some vegetables.

    I’m glad you’re feeling better, though. Are the two hospitals you thought were very good the ones I delivered the kids in? I got kind of confused in your descriptions…

  2. yes, that would be LF and HP…and I know give up the tea…I am cutting back…but they did not nix the chocolate…he he he

  3. oh


  4. so glad THAT’S over!

  5. What a saga. Glad you’re feeling better!!! Urology is not my specialty (ha!) but I think you need to give up the tea too. Water is best.

  6. Now you know what to expect, I say drink the tea and wait for your next mini vacation. Seriously, I am glad you are ok, those darn things hurt.

  7. Ouch! I have had something similar with gallstones. Glad your feeling better.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: